What are the Fields

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

What are the various "fields" for friends, events, etc., and how can I find out what they are?

P.S.  I think this Facebook module for PS is very cool!

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Thanks RPS! Your best information on the fields for users, events etc is https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/. Click on the object type and look for the Fields table. Remember that you get only the default fields unless you specify the fields you want.

Please follow up and let me know what is your scenario! There are a lot of capabilities which I haven't translated to cmdlets, since no one has asked for them.

Jon

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Yes, but some fields, like languages, timezone, hometown, and especially birthday, do not return a value. How can I get that information (esp. birthday)? It looks like these require certain permission. Can I modify your code to ask for them, or is that something you must do?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I think FacebookPSModule requests permission to pretty much everything. Some fields are secure-by-default, in particular birthday, and you won't get a value even if you ask for one. It is unusual to come across an account which allows apps access to the birthday field. If you want to experiment with different permissions, change $FB_DefaultExtendedPermissions (see the API reference for possible values) and get a fresh token, or call New-FBConnection -ExtendedPermissions.